Work Related Injuries

Work Related Injury Lawyers

An injury at work can be devastating. You may struggle to pay medical bills and take care of your family; dealing with your employer and its insurer may seem impossible.

The workers compensation attorneys in Jacksonville Florida, at McGRATH GIBSON, have the expertise to handle even the most complex workplace injury. We will protect your rights and make sure you can pay your bills and care for your family.

If you have been injured on the job, you are entitled to receive lost wages and necessary medical treatment, including therapy, prescriptions, and any medical supplies required to treat your injuries. You also may be entitled to disability payments, and even permanent disability if you are unable to return to work.

Workers compensation is a highly technical area of law requiring experience and expertise. We have represented thousands of injured workers struggling to restore a sense of normalcy to their lives. Trust us to obtain the best possible outcome for you.


Q: What is the value of my claim? The insurance company offered me a settlement. It seems low.

A: A worker’s compensation case is valued by the exposure the insurance company faces in the continued payments of lost wages and medical benefits. Unfortunately, the pain and suffering you have experienced is not taken into consideration. That’s why you should be sure to treat frequently with your medical providers. This will show the employer/carrier that you are going to cost them money if you stay in the workers’ compensation system. In any event, I would suggest scheduling a consultation with an attorney to get a better idea of the value of your case.

Q: My doctor said I should see a specialist about my injury but the insurance carrier will not send me to one. What can I do?

A: An injured worker is entitled to care with a specialist per the Florida workers’ compensation law. If your authorized treating physician gave you such recommendation, you should attempt to get that in writing and contact an attorney as soon as possible. The attorney will file a Petition for Benefits on your behalf and require the insurance company to explain to a Judge why they will not provide the benefit your doctor has recommended.

Q: I don’t like the doctor that the insurance company is sending me to; is there any way to get a new doctor?

A: The Florida workers’ compensation law provides that every injured worker is entitled to a one-time chance in treating physician to that of another physician of the same type of practice. If you are not satisfied with your doctor, contact a workers’ compensation attorney to help obtain such change in physician.

Q: I told my boss about the accident but he hasn’t done anything yet. I keep asking him and it is close to a month by now. What can I do?

A: You have the right to contact your workers’ compensation carrier yourself. If you do not report the accident within 30 days the employer/carrier will have a defense to providing you with any benefits. Always, be sure that you report the accident timely and in writing to multiple parties.

Q: At the beginning of my claim the doctor took me out of work and I was receiving lost wages. Now, the doctor placed me on light duty and my employer says either:

a. I don’t have work for you; or
b. I have some work for you but not as much as you did before the accident.

A: If your doctor has you on light duty you are entitled to Temporary Partial Disability. If your employer has no work for you, or less work for you than before the accident, then the carrier is responsible for paying 80% of the difference between what you earn at the present and 80% of your average weekly wage.

For example, if you had an average weekly wage of $500.00 before the accident and were then placed on light duty and only make $300.00 after the accident. You would be entitled to 80% of the difference between your current earnings ($300.00) and 80% of your average weekly wage (80% of $500.00 is $400.00). So the carrier would owe you $400.00 less $300.00 at 80%, or $80.00 per week on top of your regular paycheck.

Q: The doctor released me and put me at MMI. What does this mean?

A: MMI stands for Maximum Medical Improvement. This means that your doctor does not believe further treatments would yield improvement. You are still entitled to palliative care, or treatment on an as needed basis. However, your entitlement to wage loss ends once you reach MMI.


For more information about filing work related injury claims in Florida, Georgia or North Carolina, contact us at (904) 358-3300. A work related injury attorney will speak with you about your claim and advise you of the proper course of action based on the circumstances surrounding your injury and type of injury.

Thank you for visiting McGRATH GIBSON online. We look forward to representing you.

Jacksonville Florida Personal Injury Lawyer and Jacksonville Family Law Attorney Disclaimer:

The lawyers of McGRATH GIBSON are licensed to practice in the states of Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. Additionally, we represent the injured throughout the United States pro hoc vice, and with the help of local counsel. While we strive to personally handle all types of personal injury and wrongful death claims there are occasions where cases may be referred to another lawyer. We proudly offer representation to Military Veterans and the Men and Women who currently served our armed forces at the Mayport Naval Station, Naval Air Station of Jacksonville, Camp Blanding, United States Army, Army Reserve, United States Marines, Florida National Guard, Air National Guard, United States Coast Guard, Air Force, and Air Force Reserve. McGRATH GIBSON family law attorneys offer representation in the areas of Family Law, Divorce, Alimony, Child Custody and Child Support throughout Florida. Representation for Military Divorce handled throughout the United States and U.S. Territories independently or with local counsel where required.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. This web site is not intended to be an advertisement or solicitation. Material contained in the McGRATH GIBSON web site is for general information only and does not constitute legal advice or solicitation of legal services. Transmission of information from this site is not intended to create, and its receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between the law firm of McGRATH GIBSON and the reader. In the event that any information on this web site does not conform fully with regulations in any jurisdiction, this law firm will not accept representation based on that information.

Information contained herein is the exclusive property of McGRATH GIBSON and may not be copied, reproduced retransmitted or otherwise utilized for any purpose without the express written consent of McGRATH GIBSON.