After Hurricane Matthew: Filing Insurance Claims

Businesses and Homeowner’s should begin surveying damages to their property and belongings. As you begin filing a homeowner or commercial property insurance claim, here are a few tips to help with the process.

  1. Document all damaged property and belongings. Take photos or shoot video footage before attempting any temporary repairs. When you file an insurance claim, you may be asked for visual documentation of damages. A photographic home inventory is a helpful resource for this situation.
  2. Locate all applicable insurance policies. This may include a homeowners’ policy, flood policy (flood coverage is not covered under a typical homeowners’ policy and is separate coverage), and an automobile policy (may cover damage to your car from flooding).
  3. Cover damaged areas that may be exposed to the elements to prevent further damage. Your insurer may reimburse the expense of these temporary repairs, so keep all receipts. Do not dispose of any damaged personal property until your insurance adjuster has had a chance to survey it.
  4. Contact your insurer as soon as possible to report damages.

If you need help finding your property insurer’s website, contact information or further questions on your insurance claim, call McGRATH GIBSON.

Do you want a free evaluation of your insurance coverage?

Call McGRATH GIBSON today for a free policy review at 904- 358-3300.